Linux Admin role - Sunnyvale, CA
Strong Linux Administration and DevOps experience required
At least 9 years of experience required.
- Engineer server templates and service blueprints within a 24/7 always on multi-tier Linux application delivery environment, both on-prem and hosted at varied cloud providers via the VMWare vRealize tool suite.
- Technically design, implement, augment, and manage infrastructure tools and configurations within our enterprise environment.
- Manage, support, and optimize automation for infrastructure services utilizing central configuration management, DevOps CI/CD tools (Jenkins, Atlassian suite), custom scripting, and the VMWare vRealize vRA/vRO tool suite with NSX.
- Manage and troubleshoot MySQL database services.
- Optimize L3+ team’s workload by creating automation and/or drafting SOP documents for execution by our operations group’s L1/L2 staff.
- Linux system engineering and administration (RedHat), performance optimization, and implementation of HA/FT, while meeting security standards.
- Technically design and instrument monitoring tools, to provide comprehensive visibility into managed services and components.
- Forecast capacity needs and propose options for accommodating trends of server systems, virtualization environment, and cloud hosted Linux services.
- Troubleshoot escalations for physical or virtual hardware, hypervisor, operating system, and application software problems.
- Collaboratively work with peer teams to diagnose root cause and resolutions for escalated problems.
- Present technical designs for peer, Security, and Change Advisory Board review, along with contributions to broader project efforts.
- Work closely with IT application development teams, supporting their agile development lifecycle and (monthly) releases, as well as any urgent bugfix releases, participating in their frequent stand-up meeting cadence.
- B.S. Engineering / C.S. / MIS degree highly desirable.
- In-depth knowledge (5+ years) of Linux (Redhat/CentOS) administration and multi-tier application production operations.
- In-depth knowledge (5+ years) of VMWare ESX/ESXi, with working or stronger knowledge of vRealize Orchestration, Automation & NSX.
- Strong experience designing & instrumenting Linux monitoring, tuning, troubleshooting, and security hardening. Same for VMWare a plus.
- Strong knowledge of Linux system engineering fundamentals. Same for VMWare a plus.
- Strong working experience managing MySQL database services.
- Strong knowledge and experience designing, implementing, and managing services targeted for hybrid cloud deployment (private cloud + Amazon AWS).
- Working knowledge of MS Azure a plus.
- Working knowledge of common cryptographic technologies (ex: SSL, TLS, levels of each)
- Experience with Tomcat, Java, CI/CD tools (Jenkins or equivalent), DNS, LDAP, NFS, SNMP, & load balancers.
- Experience with system configuration management tools (Puppet, or equivalent).
- Scripting skills in a common language (BASH Shell, Python, Ruby, or Perl) a must.
- Demonstrated advanced analytical and troubleshooting skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with a team.
- Must possess excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Must be proactive, able to work with little to no supervision, detailed oriented and possess a strong work ethic.
Must be willing to work some weekend shifts in support of maintenance and participate in on-call rotation duties. Must have operations experience in 24x7 environments.